Winedale Historical Complex

near Round Top, Texas
National Register of Historic Places District, Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, State Archeological Landmark

Key Issues

• A detailed exterior condition assessment of five of the buildings in the complex identified roof, exterior envelope, and life safety issues as priorities for funding

• Roof restoration and limited exterior maintenance work was completed on four of the historic buildings, including details to ventilate the period appropriate fire-retardant cedar shake and shingle roofs

• An evaluation of life safety issues for the Theater Barn, Wagner Dining Hall and Dormitory was prepared to address concerns raised by the State Fire Marshal

Shakespeare at Winedale →

  • Winedale barn
  • Winedale
  • Winedale Lewis-Wagner House
  • Winedale McGregor-Grim House

The historic buildings within the Winedale Historical Complex near Round Top, Texas include McGregor-Grimm House (1861), Lewis-Wagner House (1834, 1848), Four-Square Barn (1831), Winedale School (1894), and Koenig House (1868).  Several of these buildings are exceptional examples of their respective 19th C architectural style.  Both the McGregor-Grimm and Lewis-Wagner houses feature extensive original decorative interior painting that is believed to be the work of German immigrant artist Rudolph Melchior.