Randall County Courthouse

1908
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
National Register of Historic Places
State Archeological Landmark

Randall CCH_103012 - 47

A Study for the Canyon Civic Complex

The historic Randall County Courthouse was constructed in 1908 in the Renaissance Revival style, and was expanded with two additions in 1945 and 1958.  The county subsequently constructed a new justice center in the 1980s, and the building has sat vacant since that time.  The exterior of the courthouse was restored in 2010 with funding provided by the Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program of the Texas Historical Commission and citizens of Randall County.  The work included removal of two annexes and related parking lots, and the reconstruction of the original clock tower.  With the exterior envelope of the courthouse in excellent condition, the interior awaits restoration and new use.

In 2013, the City of Canyon selected the team of Lavin Architects of Amarillo to provide a space use analysis of city departments and recommendations for future expansion.  One of those options includes investigation of the historic Randall County Courthouse to serve as a new City Hall.  Volz O’Connell Hutson is currently working with Lavin to assess the condition of the courthouse and determine how the City of Canyon might best use this exceptionally beautiful historic property. Our work includes consultation with the Texas Historical Commission and local code officials to determine design parameters for reuse.