Inge-Stoneham House

Washington County, Texas

The Inge-Stoneham House is a one-story Greek Revival plantation home constructed in the mid-1850's by Dr. Richard J. Inge, a physician and native of North Carolina who settled in the Whitehall vicinity of Grimes County. In 1887 the house was acquired by George Crowder Stoneham, a prominent farmer and founder of Stoneham, Texas. It remained in the Stoneham family until 1978 when it was sold and moved to Chappell Hill, Texas. Subsequently, the house was purchased and moved to property near Round Top, Texas. John Volz was project architect for the documentation, move, and restoration of the house at its current site.

As part of the restoration of this significant early Texas residence, Candace Volz analyzed the interiors for evidence of the original decorative finishes. Layers of early wallpapers were found under the baseboards in each room. Additional interior finish selections to return the interiors to an 1860’s appearance included period-appropriate carpeting, a floor cloth, hardware, mid-19th C. drapery designs and materials, and period reupholstering of mid-19th C. American antique furnishings.

  • Inge-Stoneham House interior
  • IS-mainhall_02
  • Inge-Stoneham House interior
  • Inge-Stoneham House interior
  • IS-BedroomA_08
  • Inge-Stoneham House interior
  • IS-Dining_12
  • IS-Library_10
  • IS-Library_11
  • IS-Musicroom_05

Key Issues

• Document and prepare for moving the house and one surviving dependency to Owner’s property
• Recreate the original orientation of the house and dependency at the new site
• Sensitively integrate bathrooms within secondary spaces
• Analyze paint history to recreate interior and exterior paint and plaster finishes
• Inconspicuously integrate utility and lightning protection systems
• Reproduce several historic wallpapers found in the house
• Design and coordinate fabrication and installation of period-appropriate floorcloth