Comal Power Plant

1925
Landa Park, New Braunfels, Texas
National Register of Historic Places
____________________________________________________
The United Gas Improvement Company built the Comal Power Plant in 1925. It was the largest power plant in the world at that time, burning pulverized lignite coal as fuel. The Plant was closed in 1973 and sat vacant for nearly 30 years. After extensive environmental remediation, the Larry Peel Company purchased the building to rehabilitate it into lofts and construct garden apartments on the adjacent property.
We served as the preservation consultant for the Power Plant rehabilitation. Services include recommendations for materials conservation and design assistance with specific preservation treatments for windows and significant interior features. Additionally, we coordinated the project with the Texas Historical Commission and prepared the Historic Preservation Certification Application for a 20% investment tax credit.

Key Issues
• Assist with making this project economically viable for investors
• Sensitively rehabilitate an industrial building for residential use in compliance with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards
• Preserve significant original features
• Design the upgrade of industrial windows for energy efficiency.

Comal Power Plant →

  • Comal Power Plant exterior
  • Comal Power Plant interior
  • Comal Power Plant interior
  • CPP_Collage4
  • CPP_Collage1
  • Comal Power Plant interior